Friday 16 October 2020

The Phantom of the Opera Graphic Novel

 

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, the iconic gothic romance, is retold with all the spectacle its legend demands in this devoted graphic novel adaptation that marries stunning artwork with Gaston Leroux’s haunting prose.

Everyone has heard the whispered tales of the phantom who lives beneath the opera house, the mysterious trickster behind all the little mishaps and lost things. But no one has ever seen the monster . . . until now. When the promise of blossoming love lures him out from his intricately constructed hideaways in the labyrinthine building’s walls and cellars, a hideously disfigured artist trains the lovely Christine to be the opera’s next star for a steep price. Does she choose her newfound success or her beloved Count Raoul? This doomed love triangle threatens to combust when a tragic death, a series of betrayals, and increasingly dangerous accidents cast the players of The Palais Garnier into a heart-wrenching horror story that will echo through the ages.


I've seen Phantom a few times. I've read the book, but it was many years ago, so I'm more familiar with the show. I've seen reviews saying this was hard to understand, but I thought it was mostly alright. I'm a little confused about Raoul and Phillipe; brothers? Friends? But apart from that I followed what was going on. It probably helped that I'm familiar with the show so I knew the plot.


The art is amazing, all gothic spires and dark, dramatic shadows. Some of the print was difficult to make out, but that wouldn't happen in a book version. The characters were different enough that I always knew who everyone was, and Erik was fantastically drawn. It was easy to see how he was so alone.


This is a brilliant adaptation and I think it'll work well as an introduction to this wonderful story. Really well done.



The Phantom of the Opera publishes on the 3rd November, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment