Monday 5 October 2020

Hush by Dylan Farrow


They use magic to silence the world. Who will break the hush?

Seventeen-year-old Shae has led a seemingly quiet life, joking with her best friend Fiona, and chatting with Mads, the neighborhood boy who always knows how to make her smile. All while secretly keeping her fears at bay… Of the disease that took her brother’s life. Of how her dreams seem to bleed into reality around her. Of a group of justice seekers called the Bards who claim to use the magic of Telling to keep her community safe.

When her mother is murdered, she can no longer pretend.

Not knowing who to trust, Shae journeys to unlock the truth, instead finding a new enemy keen to destroy her, a brooding boy with dark secrets, and an untold power she never thought possible.


I'm very confused about this one. It has some really clever ideas...there's a sequence that made me very dizzy and confused, I can only imagine what it would be like to actually go through it...but other bits of it dragged awfully or weren't engaging.

The world building was lacking a lot. Even by the end of the book, I didn't really understand what was going on. Everyone acted like writing being forbidden and the Bards' powers were connected, but the powers didn't have anything to do with writing. There was a lot of talk about speaking things into being, but Shae very rarely said anything, she just concentrated on things. Maybe that's because she's sooper speshul, like most characters. Am I the only one who'd like to see someone average who struggles and gets better through hard work?

It isn't awful. Like I said, there's some very clever ideas here. I'll probably pick up the next book to see what happens. But I hope it has a really good 'and that's what you missed on Hush' because I doubt I'll remember too much of this one.

Hush publishes on the 6th October, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment