Monday 5 October 2020

Lily Steps Up by Judi Curtin

Nellie is overjoyed when Lily and Maeve manage to track down her sister, Johanna, and fix it so she comes to Lissadell. But when a valuable locket goes missing, Johanna is the chief suspect; should Lily take the blame, so that the sisters can stay together?
Judi's books are always so full of warmth and friendship. Even the cover of this one looks warm and inviting. Although I can't says anything about the historical accuracy, it feels right, and Judi's provided her bibliography at the back. Some of the books look really interesting!

But we're talking about Lily, who reminds me more and more of Judi's Eva. Both have learned that small things can have big impacts and that caring for your friends is more important than almost everything else. I loved the scene between Lily and her mother near the end, so full of love I could feel it.

I loved the touches of history spread through the book, just enough to ground it (although I did think Lily's constant musings on the differences between her and Maeve were a bit much. Once or twice, fine, but it felt like every chapter she was thinking the same thing.) I can't wait to read more about Lily, Nellie and all their friends at Lissadell.

No comments:

Post a Comment