Friday 23 October 2020

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs


Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild.

What a fabulous, positive book! It's great to see something celebrating women in fandom, and in all different types of fandom. This book celebrates books, movies, games, comics and far, far more. A lot of the ideas are fantastic and my watch/read list has grown hugely.

There was one thing I didn't like; although I'm sure it was unintentional, the sections about cons seemed to assume that everyone wants to cosplay all the time. There was, I think, one mention of the fact that it's ok not to cosplay every day, if you want to you can just cosplay on two of the days and dress down the other days. Apart from that, Sam seems to think that anyone who wants to visit a con wants to do it in cosplay. I'm sure it wasn't intended that way, but as a fangirl with no interest at all in cosplay, it made me feel left out. (Luckily, the book also included the fact that it's ok to politely tell someone if they've offended you; I hope this counts.)

Other than that I loved every part of it. The tone is brilliant, the interviews with women from every facet of geek life are interesting and varied, the section on powerful women in different types of media is inspiring. The comic illustrations are brilliant; I'm glad I was home alone to read it, because I may have snorted loudly and unattractively at several points.

A fabulous read, and I'm on to the Journal next!




Fangirl's Guide publishes on the 27th October, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment