Tuesday 18 August 2020

The Stone of Destiny by Caroline Logan


Begin the journey; discover your destiny...

Set against a backdrop of Scottish myths and legends, follow the epic quest by a changeling, a selkie and a prince to find an ancient and powerful object, and save the kingdom.

Ailsa doesn’t believe in faerie tales, only the monsters in them. But, with the mark on her face, most people consider her one of them—a changeling.

Her secluded life shifts when she rescues two selkies from bloodthirsty raiders. Now she must act as their guard as they travel to the capital and then, with the help of the Prince of Eilanmor, journey north to find the Stone of Destiny - the only object protecting them all from the evil faerie
queen.

But all her life a malignant creature has stalked her through the forest. Can Ailsa find the Stone of Destiny before something wicked finds her?

Honesty time; I wasn't sure going into this. The cover and blurb made me think this would be a young fantasy, for primary children. I was very quickly disabused of that notion; this is a young adult novel.

I really enjoyed it. The characters were great - I love Harris, as I was clearly meant to, and Angus is brilliant. The women are wonderful, too. I knew this is the first in a series, but I was still really hoping that everything would work out by the end, because I wanted them to be happy!

I loved how the myths were worked into it and how they were explained for people who might not know them. Selkies, Unseelie fae and plenty more Celtic legends appeared here, woven in and out of a new mythology, and it all made perfect sense. I'm very interested to see how the other three Treasures - the spear, the sword and the cauldron - figure in, or if Caroline is going to go off in her own direction!

If you enjoyed Harry Potter or Artemis Fowl and you're looking for something just a little bit older, this is the one for you. This first book is out now and the second publishes soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment