Monday 31 August 2020

My Life as a Cat by Carlie Sorosiak

Leonard has never had a name. Or a body. Or a best friend. But he is excited to try being a human.

On their three-hundredth-birthday, every alien from Leonard’s home galaxy gets to spend a month in the body of an Earth Creature. Leonard was supposed to become a forest ranger in Yellowstone National Park – but there was a mix-up.

And now he’s stuck as a stray cat.

Luckily for Leonard, he meets a young human called Olive – and together they set out on a journey to find home.

I'm a cat person. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Dogs are fine, but there's something about cats, about earning the love and trust of a usually standoffish animal...

That said, if my cat started typing to me, I'd probably react much like Olive.

Leonard is very endearing. Even before he had emotions (and oh, the descriptions of his home planet! No wonder he missed it so much) he loved humans and Earth so much. It's really beautiful to read. It also makes me wonder about those slightly weird people you run into occasionally and never see again. Aliens on their month's visit?


I was a little bit unsure about something at the end:

But it's possible I just missed something, or that kids won't be bothered by it.

I loved the story. Found Family is always a brilliant story if it's handled well, and here it's handled very well. I want a friend like Q. I think everyone should have one.

I haven't read I Cosmo but it's definitely going on my list after this, and if it's anything like this one, I can't wait.


My Life as a Cat publishes on 3rd September, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment