Wednesday 19 August 2020

The Pharaoh's Curse by Holly Webb

Brave, clever and never more than a whisker away from adventure! When the museum's visitors are gone for the day, it's time for the cats to come out to play...
The kittens are curious when a rare Egyptian papyrus comes to the museum on loan. But from the moment the artefact arrives, things start to go wrong and rumours of an ancient curse begin to spread. When a pipe leaks and the Egyptian gallery is flooded, the kittens find themselves trapped. Will they be the next victims of the pharaoh's curse?


Holly Webb loves animals. This is well established by now. This series follows kittens who are semi-employed in a museum to keep rats away from the exhibits, learning from older cats doing the same job.

I love these kittens. There are four in the group and each has their own personality and characteristics. I love Tasha the best, but that might be because the book is from her point of view; I'll have to try some different ones to test that.

The book has plenty of facts mixed in as well. The older cats educate the kittens on the meanings of different artifacts and exhibits. This book is about Egyptian pieces, but judging by the floorplan at the front, there'll be plenty of other periods covered as well.

I really enjoyed this. I think it's very clever to use cats as pest control, I think more places should do it, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what other adventures they have.

(And yes, Holly, I didn't quite all out cry but I may have teared up a bit near the end there, when Tasha is talking to a certain statue...)

Brilliant read for a confident reader, or a great night time read for a slightly younger child.

No comments:

Post a Comment