Saturday 22 August 2020

The One and Only Ivan book to movie comparison

A gorilla named Ivan tries to piece together his past with the help of an elephant named Stella as they hatch a plan to escape from captivity.

This is a sort of hybrid review of the movie and discussion on how well it translated from the book to the screen. (I tried to make it just about the translation, but my opinions kept creeping in.) I'll do my best to avoid spoilers.

So, characters. Most characters are basically the same in the movie as they are in the book. The two exceptions, to me, were Mack and Ivan himself. Mack in the movie seemed much more caring and gentle than in the book; for example, he didn't tie Stella or Ruby down, and he called a vet as soon as Stella showed signs of injury. He was still a bit too hard on Ruby, but not as much as in the book; he never injured her and he seemed genuinely worried halfway through.

Ivan himself is much chattier and friendlier in the movie. He wasn't unfriendly in the book, but there was definitely a sense of reserve in his behaviour. Some of the difference might be down to how I'd imagined his voice before hearing Sam Rockwell play him; Sam was amazing, but in my head Ivan sounded more like Frasier Crane! Likewise, I wasn't sure about Danny Devito as Bob; he has the right attitude but I thought Bob might sound too old. Nope; pitch perfect. The children playing Ruby and Julia were great, too.

Disney, of coure, have added a set piece halfway through; it was fun to watch, but I didn't feel like it added anything necessary to the story. Ivan's plan to free Ruby plays out a little bit differently in the movie, but definitely more visually exciting than the version in the book. Ivan's worry about keeping the show running is much more emphasised in the movie than in the novel, too.

And I was all set to complain that we didn't get Bob's ending, but then the after credits scene came on! So that was good. And it kept the line that made me tear up a little when I read it.

"Remember; you are the one and only Ivan."

In general the dialogue was very faithful to the book. Stella got some of Ruby's backstory and lost her beautiful line about zoos. Ivan's backstory was softened, too, not as grpahic as the novel, so adults picking the book up after watching the movie will need to be careful.

Overall this is one of the better adaptations I've seen; the changes mostly served the story rather than being changed for the sake of it. I hope this movie gets the acclaim it deserves. Now, when are they going to release The One and Only Bob?

No comments:

Post a Comment