Saturday 12 December 2020

The Kitten Next Door by Holly Webb and Sophy Williams

The Kitten Next Door 
Sophia loves cats but her parents think she and her sister are too young to have one of their own. So when a tiny kitten creeps through the fence from next door’s garden, Sophia immediately falls in love with her.

Then Sophia hears that her neighbours are moving away. She won’t get to see Willow any more! To her surprise, though, the little kitten is left behind. Can Sophia convince Mum and Dad to give Willow a new home? 

Sorry, Holly. You didn't make me cry this time. It was a near thing! I'm not ashamed to admit it. A scene where Willow is waiting and the narration tells us that a few days passed...that nearly got me. But then I realised that she hadn't actually been waiting that long, in the end.

Holly's animal stories are always great and this one is no exception. Her description of Willow's reaction to fireworks made me want to go and cuddle my own cat. I love the thought that through these books, children are learning about what their own pets like and dislike.

Sophy's new, slightly more cartoony style for the cover is lovely, too, and the illustrations strike just the right note. I'd love to see some of these characters meet up with each other! Maybe for the 100th book, Holly?

A great read for a confident reader or animal lover and a wonderful addition to the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment