Tuesday 29 December 2020

The Boy I Am by KL Kettle


They say we’re dangerous. But we’re not that different.

Jude is running out of time. Once a year, lucky young men in the House of Boys are auctioned to the female elite. But if Jude fails to be selected before he turns seventeen, a future deep underground in the mines awaits.

Yet ever since the death of his best friend at the hands of the all-powerful Chancellor, Jude has been desperate to escape the path set out for him. Finding himself entangled in a plot to assassinate the Chancellor, he finally has a chance to avenge his friend and win his freedom. But at what price?



This is a slow starter - which is strange, because it literally starts in the middle; it took a while before I really followed everything that was happening - but once I caught up with what was happening everything flew. There's a lot going on in this novel; I don't want to risk spoiling it, so I'll only talk quite generally about it.

Imagine Only Ever Yours from the other perspective; boys are the ones being bid on and subjugated and pushed down. It's a thin genre, needs a few more entries, but this one will stand proudly in it. 

I mentioned that it took a while for me to follow everything that was happening. That's because this is a real world, with every detail thought of and worked out carefully. And since Jude has grown up in it, he doesn't always think about it, any more than we do. But, once I was following what was happening, I didn't want to put this one down. You'll want to pay attention, too; there's a lot going on in this one, it's not a book to skim read.

Fantastic.


The Boy I Am publishes on the 12th January, 2021.


No comments:

Post a Comment