Thursday 10 December 2020

Fangirl the manga, Vol 1 by Rainbow Rowell and Sam Maggs

Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, everybody is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life. Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath just can't let go. Now that they’re in college, Cath must decide if she’s ready to start living her own life. But does she even want to if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

Cath doesn’t need friends IRL. She has her twin sister, Wren, and she’s a popular fanfic writer in the Simon Snow community with thousands of fans online. But now that she’s in college, Cath is completely outside of her comfort zone. There are suddenly all these new people in her life. She's got a surly roommate with a charming boyfriend, a writing professor who thinks fanfiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome new writing partner ... And she's barely heard from Wren all semester!

I adore Fangirl, anyone will tell you that. I'm also quite fond of manga, though I'm fairly inexperienced there. When I heard this one was coming out, I couldn't wait to read it.

I loved it. The illustration matched everyone's characters, Wren and Cath look exactly the same and nothing alike, the story was easy to follow even in this slightly reduced format. I love how expressive manga is, telling whole stories with just the tilt of someone's head or the way their eyes narrow.

I'm not going to review the story, but if you've ever read Harry Potter fic, or - gasp! - written some yourself, this is a story you need. Just wait until all four volumes are out (or buy the original book, that works too!) because the cliff hanger in this one will kill you. I'm not even joking.

Fantastic. Can't wait for the next part.

No comments:

Post a Comment