Sunday 13 December 2020

Enemy Rising by CJ Fisher


In 1803, Robert Wellesley launched an unauthorized British takeover of India.

In 1804, the dead began to devour the living.

Things haven't been the same since.

Cursed creatures wander the plains of India, stumble through her jungles, and invade the cities of the people. In a world turned upside down, four youth with little in common find their lives intertwined in the struggle for survival. Destiny pushes them together in unexpected ways, but the curse of the nineteenth century threatens to tear them apart. Together can they form a united front and save the world?


I thought I'd enjoy this, even though it's historical which is not my usual genre, because it's zombies, which very much is my usual fare. Unfortunately, I didn't. Despite being set some months into a Zombie outbreak - which has not spread out of India for no reason I can see - this reads more like the first half hour of a zombie movie, when no one knows exactly what's going on. Some characters know there's zombies, some don't seem to, and life is mostly going on as normal for most people.

The characters are confusing, there are long periods of nothing happening, and - although with this being a proof, this could very well have changed before publication - the punctuation and spelling aren't great, with things like people being waived to go in certain directions.

I'm sure some people will enjoy it, but it's not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment