Saturday 26 December 2020

History of Rock by Rita Nabais and Joana Raimundo

What are the greatest rock songs of all time?

Who are the most famous musical legends?

How can you become a rock star?

From the rip-roaring rock and roll rhythms of the 1950s to the psychedelic anthems of the 21st century, discover the music that has moved our feet, touched our souls and mended broken hearts. Explore musical icons, their incredible stories, their chart-topping hits and the artistic movements influenced by the creative explosion of rock.

Perfect for big fans, little punks and anyone who wants to learn what it really takes to be a rock star.



Ok, I admit it. I don't know a lot about rock music. I know the big names of course, everyone does, but that's about it.

So this was a perfect book for me. Roughly in temporal order, divided into subgenres and subsubgenres and subsubsubgenres, this introduced me to hundreds of performers I'd never heard of. A link at the back goes to a spotify list with every performer on it, most featuring multiple songs; literally hours of music to listen to.

I love the illustrations, too. Illustrations, not photos; almost caricatures, but all instantly recognisable. (The ones I know, anyway. See above re not knowing much about rock music.) They really add to the feel of the book.

A fabulous present for any music fan. I'm off to listen to a lot of new to me performers!

No comments:

Post a Comment