Wednesday 1 December 2021

Good Girls Die First by Kathryn Foxfield


For fans of Karen McManus's One of Us Is Lying and films like I Know What You Did Last Summer comes a gripping thriller about murder, mystery, and deception.

Blackmail lures Ava to the abandoned amusement park on Portgrave Pier. She is one of ten teenagers, all with secrets they intend to protect whatever the cost. When fog and magic swallow the pier, the group finds themselves cut off from the real world. As the teenagers turn on each other, Ava will have to face up to the secret that brought her to the pier and decide how far she's willing to go to survive. The teenagers have only their secrets to protect and each other to betray.


It's very rare that I can't find something good to say about a book. People work hard, sometimes for years at a time, to put books together and publish them and send them out, and I never want to make light of that. And, of course, books are very subjective; I didn't enjoy this, but someone else might. I've deliberately not looked for other people's reviews before writing this one, so I could very well be in the minority.

Because I didn't enjoy this. It's confused, it's confusing, there are too many characters with not enough detail given about them, the narrator has no idea what's going on and thus neither do we - it's just not a fun read. I couldn't keep most of the characters straight, and we knew so little about them that I didn't really care when they started dying. I didn't understand the supernatural villian or what exactly he was doing or what his ultimate goal was.

I'm sure there are readers who loved this. I'm glad for them! I hope it does well. But it isn't remotely for me, I'm afraid.


Good Girls Die First publishes on the 7th December, 2021. I recieved a free copy and am giving an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment