Saturday 11 December 2021

A Galway Fairytale/Síscéal ó Ghaillimh le Caitriona Sweeney


Fans of A Dublin Fairytale will be enchanted by this modern take on the Hansel and Gretel fairytale set in modern-day Galway.




O'Brien continue their run of picture books based on Ireland with this new story based in Galway. I'm afraid I'm not as familiar with Galway as I could be, but I'm assured that all the landmarks here are based on real ones and are very recognisable. 

I love the art style - it's not hyper real, everything is quite soft and diffused, but still very easy to make out details. (There's an AGA in the kitchen! The woman playing the fiddle has braids! There's a pin in Granuaile's hair!) It really suits the style of the story.

This book is available in English or Irish. My cupla focail aren't up to the task, so I turned to my local friendly Gaeilgeoir to see what he thought:


Leabhar álainn é seo, le learáidí geala agus bríomhara a chuireann leis an scéal. Bainfidh páistí óga sult as na mionsonraí sna pictiúirí a aithint. Tá an Ghaeilge simplí agus so-intuigthe agus cuirtear sonraí éagsúla ó stair na Gaillimhe os ár gcomhair go caolchúiseach. Sár-saothar!

(This is an attractive book, with bright and vibrant illustrations which add to the story. Young children will enjoy picking out details in the pictures. The Irish is simple and easy to understand, and some details from Galway’s history are subtly introduced. Good job!)


Overall a great book for kids (and adults who want to learn a little bit about the history of Galway!)

No comments:

Post a Comment