Sunday 24 January 2021

The Girls I've Been by Tess Sharpe

 

Nora O'Malley is a lot of things. A sister. An ex. A secret girlfriend. Kind of crooked, but reformed... somewhat.

Nora O'Malley's been a lot of girls. As the daughter of a con-artist who targets criminal men, she grew up her mother's protege. But when mom fell for the mark instead of conning him, Nora pulled the ultimate con: escape.

For five years she's been playing at normal. But she needs to dust off the skills she ditched because she has three problems:

#1: her ex walked in on her with her girlfriend. Even though they've all been inseparable for months, Wes didn't know about her and Iris.

#2: The morning after, they all have to meet to deposit the fundraiser money they raised together. It's a nightmare that goes from awkward to deadly.

Because #3: right after they get in the bank, two guys start robbing it.

But they have no idea who they're really holding hostage.

The robbers are trouble. Nora's something else entirely.



The Girls I've Been is an exciting, tense thriller, told in various timelines as Nora works through the situation she's in and thinks back on everything in her life that has made her into the person she is. I often have trouble with books that jump timelines, but this one was mostly fine, easy enough to follow with a little mental effort.

Nora's a fascinating character. I may have to do some research into cons, now, as the ones we see bits of are really interesting. I was a little surprised that all her friends were able to do them so easily as well, but some of it does seem to be common sense, so maybe that's all it is.

Right up to the end I couldn't tell what was going to happen next, and I really enjoyed finding out. I think this will do really well, and I can't wait to see what else Tess writes.



The Girls I've Been publishes on the 26th of January, 2021 in the US (top image) and on the 4th of February, 2021 in the UK (lower image).

No comments:

Post a Comment