Saturday 30 January 2021

The Boy who made Everyone Laugh by Helen Rutter

 


Billy Plimpton has a big dream: to become a famous comedian when he grows up. He already knows a lot of jokes, but thinks he has one big problem standing in his way: his stutter.

At first, Billy thinks the best way to deal with this is to . . . never say a word. That way, the kids in his new school won't hear him stammer. But soon he finds out this is NOT the best way to deal with things. (For one thing, it's very hard to tell a joke without getting a word out.)

As Billy makes his way toward the spotlight, a lot of funny things (and some less funny things) happen to him. In the end, the whole school will know --

If you think you can hold Billy Plimpton back, be warned: The joke will soon be on you.


This is the funniest book that made me cry into my pillow that I've read recently.

I've been reading some fantastic funny books lately. This one is right at the top of the pile. It can also be marketed to fans of Wonder, as it covers a serious real life problem. About one in a hundred people will have a serious stutter for some part of their life, so we're all likely to meet someone with one eventually. Billy's story gives some tips for us as well; I used to try to help to finish sentences, thinking I was being helpful - for instance if they were pointing at something and trying to say the name, I might have said it to help them - but I will definitely stop and wait for them to speak in future.

It's genuinely funny, too. A lot of books about child comics depend on body humour, but Billy's comments and jokes are brilliant. I really enjoyed reading his jokes, the ones at the head of each chapter as well as his routines scattered throughout.

I also cried like a baby at one point, but I won't go into that further. It's very well handled and appropriate for readers.

I'd love to see this as a class novel. There's so much to explore and unpick here. Just brilliant.


The Boy who made Everyone Laugh publishes on the 4th February, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment