PRE-READING
A kitchen witch who doesn't know she has magic. A little tea shop in a Scottish village. Rainswept hills. A cat. Earl Grey.
This sounds extremely like my sort of book.
And honestly? It mostly is.
POST-READING
I really enjoyed The Little Shop of Gentle Magics. Meg is an engaging character, the Scottish setting is beautifully described, and there's plenty of warmth and cosy atmosphere here.
But I did spend quite a lot of the book thinking, “This isn't quite the book I thought I was reading.”
The blurb promises me a tea shop, a cat, gentle magic and a cosy Scottish life, with a romance developing alongside it. What I actually got was a romance-focused story with the tea shop and magic around it.
And I think that distinction explains my slight ambivalence more than anything else.
As I expected
The setting is gorgeous.
Banhaven and the surrounding landscape are brought to life beautifully, and I could absolutely picture the little shop, the hills and the weather. There are lots of lovely cosy details, and the descriptions make the place feel like somewhere you could happily disappear into for a while. Meg's brother and the townspeople make for fantastic characters and I'd happily read twelve more books with them.
There is also magic, of course, and I really liked the idea of Meg discovering that what she can do isn't necessarily what her family expected of her.
And the romance works.
Meg is understandably wary after a bad marriage, and Arthur is warm and determined but doesn't always realise quite how pushy he can be. In particular, he doesn't immediately understand just how much Meg has been trained to put other people's needs ahead of her own.
That creates some genuinely interesting tension between them, rather than simply giving us two people who are obviously destined to fall in love and getting on with it.
I was surprised by
How much of the story is actually about the romance.
The tea itself doesn't really arrive until about halfway through the book. The shop is there, but the tea shop I had imagined from the blurb isn't quite the heart of the story. And the cat doesn't arrive in the way I was expecting either — it's one of Arthur's children rather than a mysterious little customer bringing itself into Meg's life.
None of this is bad.
In fact, I enjoyed the book that is here.
But I do wonder whether the blurb might have been written for an earlier version of the story, because it sets up a particular sort of cosy fantasy and then delivers something rather more romance-focused.
Meg's journey is ultimately less about creating the perfect little magical shop and more about learning what she actually wants, recognising the ways her previous relationship has shaped her, and allowing herself to choose something different.
And that's a good story.
It just isn't quite the story I was expecting from “Magic smells of Earl Grey and possibility...”
RECOMMENDATIONS
If you're looking for a cosy fantasy romance with a strong sense of place, complicated family dynamics and a protagonist learning to trust herself again, this is a lovely choice.
For another cosy fantasy where the setting and relationships are just as important as the magic, try The Spellshop by Sarah Beth Durst.
And if it's the Scottish landscape and small-community atmosphere you're after, Shetland or Vera will give you very different stories but a similar feeling of windswept landscapes and places where everyone seems to know everyone else's business.
MUSIC PAIRING
“Harvest Moon” — Neil Young
There's something warm and reflective about it that fits Meg's journey: finding yourself somewhere unexpected, allowing yourself to want things again, and discovering that starting over doesn't necessarily mean starting from nothing.
VIBE CHECK
Colour palette: Heather purple, moss green, warm cream and the amber of autumn hills
Soundtrack: Rain against windows, kettle boiling, distant wind and quiet village conversation
Season: Autumn
Mood: Cosy, romantic, reflective and just a little wistful
Scent: Earl Grey, rain, baking sugar cookies and damp heather
Texture: Wool jumpers, old wood, ceramic teacups and rain-darkened stone
TAROT CARD PULLED
The Lovers
Not simply because this is a romance.
The Lovers is about choice - about actively choosing another person, but also about choosing what aligns with your own values and the life you actually want.
That's Meg's journey.
After a marriage that taught her to put herself second, she has to work out what it means to make choices for herself. Arthur has to learn that loving someone also means understanding where their boundaries are and giving them room to choose.
The romance matters, but so does the fact that Meg is finally choosing her own life.
✦ THE TRUE QUESTION ✦
What happens when you finally allow yourself to choose what you want?
The Little Shop of Gentle Magics is a really good read with beautiful scenery, lovely cosy details and a romance that gives Meg's story some genuinely interesting tension. Just don't go in expecting quite as much tea-shop cosiness as the blurb suggests.
Because the magic may smell of Earl Grey and possibility, but the story itself is rather more interested in what happens when you finally choose yourself.
The Little Shop of Gentle Magics publishes on 20 October 2026. I received a free copy and am giving an honest review.
No comments:
Post a Comment