PRE-READING
I've read Legends & Lattes, enjoyed it, and didn't have any trouble following it. So when I saw a collection of short stories set in the same world, I assumed I would be absolutely fine.
Short stories! Cosy fantasy! A world I already know!
What could possibly go wrong?
Well.
POST-READING
This is one of those occasions where I need to make something very clear from the beginning: this book and I had a bit of a mismatch.
I went into Tales from the Territory expecting a collection of stories that would mostly stand alone. That was my mistake. While the first story worked very nicely for me on its own, the later stories increasingly assumed that the reader knew considerably more about the world and its characters.
That isn't a criticism of the book. It's a criticism of my assumptions about what sort of book I was picking up.
As I expected
There is plenty here for readers who already know and love the world of Legends & Lattes.
The first story, Goblins & Greatcoats, was exactly what I was hoping for: a fun little adventure involving mistaken identity, murder, an inn and, naturally, the theft of cutlery. It gave me enough information to understand what was happening while still feeling like a story in its own right.
And I can absolutely see the appeal of getting these additional glimpses into a world you've already become attached to.
I was surprised by
Quite how much prior knowledge some of the stories needed.
I found myself wondering whether the character in the second story was someone I was supposed to recognise from Legends & Lattes, because the story seemed to stop rather than quite end. And by the third story, I had reached the point where I simply wasn't following what was happening.
Again: that's on me.
I had assumed that because I'd managed perfectly well with Legends & Lattes itself, these shorter stories would give me the same level of entry point. They don't necessarily do that, and I think I would have had a very different experience if I'd come to them already familiar with the wider world and its characters.
It may also be that readers who are more accustomed to the grittier, D&D-style storytelling of the main series will find this easier to navigate than I did. If you're already comfortable with being dropped into a fantasy world where you don't necessarily get every piece of context explained, you may have no problem at all.
For me, though, there was a point where I stopped thinking ooh, what's happening? and started thinking I suspect I'm missing several pieces of information here.
And that's a very different reading experience.
RECOMMENDATIONS
If you've read and loved Legends & Lattes and want more stories from its world, this is exactly the sort of collection I'd expect to appeal to you.
I'd particularly recommend it to readers who enjoy fantasy that assumes you can find your feet in an established world without everything being explained from scratch.
If you're looking for a cosy fantasy collection that is more immediately accessible story-by-story, The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna has a similarly warm sense of community while being much more self-contained.
On screen, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves has that same combination of fantasy adventure, characters with history, and a willingness to throw you into a world and let you catch up as you go.
MUSIC PAIRING
"Take a Chance on Me" — ABBA
Not because I think the book needs rescuing - but because that was essentially my approach going in.
I knew this world. I liked this world. Surely we could make this work.
And sometimes you discover that you've wandered into a conversation halfway through.
VIBE CHECK
Colour palette: Warm coffee brown, cream, deep red and little flashes of magical colour
Soundtrack: Cosy tavern chatter, mugs clinking, dice rolling somewhere nearby
Season: Autumn
Mood: Warm, familiar and slightly mysterious - with occasional moments of “wait, who is that?”
Scent: Coffee, cinnamon rolls and old books
Texture: Worn leather, polished wood, parchment and a well-used D&D rulebook
TAROT CARD PULLED
The Six of Cups
The Six of Cups is a card of familiarity, memory and returning to something you already know.
Which makes it a surprisingly good fit for a collection like this.
Tales from the Territory isn't really asking you to discover this world from scratch. It's inviting you back into it, showing you other corners, other characters and other moments that will mean more if you already have that sense of familiarity.
And that was the important lesson for me: I was treating a return visit like a first introduction.
The stories may work beautifully for someone who already feels at home here. I was still occasionally looking for the map.
✦ THE TRUE QUESTION ✦
How much of a world do you need to know before you can simply enjoy wandering through it?
Tales from the Territory is a book I think the right reader will enjoy considerably more than I did - and that's worth saying, because my difficulty here wasn't dislike. It was expectation.
I wanted these stories to introduce me to little corners of a world I already knew. Instead, several of them assumed I'd already explored rather more of that world than I had.
So if you've read Legends & Lattes and want to spend more time there, this could be exactly what you're looking for. If, like me, you're approaching it primarily as a collection of standalone short stories, just be aware that some familiarity with the wider world is likely to help.
Tales from the Territory publishes on the 1st of October, 2026. I received a free copy and am giving an honest review.
No comments:
Post a Comment