Monday 22 February 2021

Climate Action by Georgina Stevens and Katie Rewse



This is a book about climate change.

In this book, we share the facts, but we also share hope. Learn about the causes of climate change and how it is affecting our world. Explore the human impact and what it means to have a carbon footprint. Read about creative ideas for tackling the climate crisis. Be inspired by the positive stories from young changemakers around the globe. Get tips on how to take actions and reduce your carbon footprint.


Our planet needs us, and we need our planet.


One tree will be planted for every book sold in the UK.


What a fabulous book. I don't think I can review this book well enough to actually get across how wonderful it actually is. But let's give it a go.

First, physically, it's fantastic. The cover is embossed, so it feels nice to touch, and the paper is thicker than a normal children's book, so each page has weight. The book is fully illustrated, in colour, as this picture from Little Tiger's website shows.



The book is divided into four parts; Causes, Effect, Our Part and Inspiration. Every couple of pages there's a small bio on a changemaker, a child who has had an impact on the world, to show children that no amount of help is too small. This book is not doom and gloom; although it doesn't gloss over the harm we've done, it's also very optimistic about our chance of making a change. I love the glossary at the end, and the double spread of jobs children might like that can help our planet.

Some of the concepts in here are fascinating; I hadn't heard of bamboo buildings before, and although I knew about roof gardens I didn't know there is a whole city planned in China where every building will be covered in trees! It's a fantastic idea and one I wish more countries would adopt.

I love the slightly cartoony drawing style. It's perfect to get the message of the book across, without being so utterly real that it might put people off. Although I have read all the way through, I think I'll be coming back to really, properly investigate each picture, because I think there's a lot of detail in here and it will reward multiple viewings.

In case you were curious; it does not really cover the effects of climate change on animals, concentrating instead on the planet itself.

I can't properly express how much I love this book. It really is amazing.

Climate Action publishes on the 4th of March, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment