Wednesday 25 November 2020

Day One by Kelly Devos



RULE ONE: THOSE WHO PANIC DON’T SURVIVE

IT’S AS TRUE NOW AS IT WAS THE DAY OUR WORLD EXPLODED INTO CHAOS

Jinx

Three months ago, all I wanted was to stay up late playing video games and pretending things were fine. But with my parents’ role in a massive political conspiracy exposed, I ended up on the run, desperate to rescue my little brother, Charles, from the clutches of The Opposition.

I used to hate my father’s obsession with disaster prepping. But as I fight my way across a war-torn country and into a secret military research facility with only my stepsister to count on, I realize that following Dr. Doomsday’s Guide for Ultimate Survival might be our only hope of surviving to see Charles again.

MacKenna

Once, I had it all. The right backstory. The right qualifications. But my life as a student journalist was destroyed forever in the explosions that triggered the country’s meltdown. Now I’m determined to help Jinx get our little brother back. But we also have to find our own reasons to survive. Somehow, I’ve become the first reporter of the new civil war. In a world where your story is your ultimate weapon, I have to become the toughest freedom fighter of all. 

I was hoping to enjoy this; disaster stories are my jam, after all. And it's not bad, per se. It's a little chaotic; things keep happening, one after another, and our characters are flung from one situation to the next without much time to recover in between. There are allies and amazing tech everywhere you look; I was very rarely worried about them, because people kept turning up to help them.

It's interestingly written, with a few good twists, but it just wasn't enough for me, I'm afraid. I'm glad I finished the series, but I won't be coming back to it.

Not awful, for the right reader. I hope it does well.


Day One publishes on the 1st December, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment