Friday 20 November 2020

#Bookchat: Heiress Apparently by Diana Ma

 
The first book in an epic and romantic YA series following the fictionalized descendants of the only officially recognized empress regent of China

Gemma Huang is a recent transplant to Los Angeles from Illinois, having abandoned plans for college to pursue a career in acting, much to the dismay of her parents. Now she’s living with three roommates in a two-bedroom hovel, auditioning for bit roles that hardly cover rent. Gemma’s big break comes when she’s asked to play a lead role in an update of M. Butterfly filming for the summer in Beijing. When she arrives, she’s stopped by paparazzi at the airport. She quickly realizes she may as well be the twin of one of the most notorious young socialites in Beijing. Thus kicks off a summer of revelations, in which Gemma uncovers a legacy her parents have spent their lives protecting her from—one her mother would conceal from her daughter at any cost.

Hi guys! Welcome to the first #Bookchat we've had in a while! BeeJay and I both read this fun book and now we're going to ramble about it for a while.

So, BJ, tell me your first impressions.

BJ: It's funny that the characters mention Crazy Rich Asians, because that's what I thought of as I was reading this. I don't mean that negatively; I enjoyed CRA and I enjoyed this very much.

B: It did have that kind of vibe, didn't it? Young American Asian has to find her power in a society she isn't used to, while dealing with the ultra rich and their struggles.

BJ: You're making it sound like it's the exact same story.

B: I am, and I shouldn't, because it isn't, not any more than Harry Potter and Star Wars are the same story. 

BJ: But you liked this one?

B: I did, yeah. It's well written, the characters are great, there was only a very small bit of people not telling each other things -

BJ: The whole story was based on people not telling each other things!

B: Well, that was historical not telling things. Inside the story, there wasn't too much of it.

BJ: Alright, I'll give you that much. Characters?

B: Yes! I liked Gemma. She was awesome, going for what she wanted, and even when she backed off for a bit it was just so she could come back stronger. I was pretty sure what was going to happen with that suit, and it was even better than I hoped for when it paid off.

BJ: Eric was a bit...

B: Too good to be true?

BJ: Cynic. You know you want an Eric.

B: Of course I want an Eric, that's the point of Eric. Enough about Eric. What about the food?

BJ: I'm not a big foodie and even I want some of what Gemma had. Those descriptions were amazing.

B: How about I have the food and you can have the hotel suite?

BJ: Oooh, yeah, that'll do me. That's about as close as I'm ever going to get to a luxury penthouse suite.

B: Any other notes before I ask my final question?

BJ: Yes. Honestly, I'm still a little bit confused about who exactly betrayed whom and why certain actions were taken towards family members, but it doesn't really matter, I enjoyed the story enough without knowing any of that.

B: I guess Chinese family politics are confusing.

BJ: They sure are. But honestly I didn't care. It was still great.

B: So. This is the first book in a series. Will you keep reading? Most of the mysteries are wrapped up here, so you'd be coming back for the characters, really.

BJ: I absolutely will come back for these characters, yes. No question. You?

B: I'll be back. But you know me, I'll have forgotten the characters by then!

BJ: Yeah, you do have a blind spot there.

B: Just be glad I remember your name.

BJ: Most of the time.


Heiress Apparently publishes on the 1st December, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment