Thursday 25 June 2020

The Princess will Save You by Sarah Henning


A PRINCESS
A STABLE BOY
A QUEST

When her father dies, Princess Amarande is given an ultimatum: Marry the leader of one of the four neighboring kingdoms, or lose her crown—and possibly her life. And to force her hand, her beloved, the stable boy Luca, is kidnapped.

But Amarande was raised to be a warrior, not a sacrifice.

And nothing will stop her from saving her true love and rescuing her kingdom.

The acclaimed author of Sea Witch turns the classic damsel-in-distress tale on its head with this story of adventure, identity, and love.




This was a sweet, nice read. But it wasn't as amazing as I was expecting, I'm afraid.

I love the Princess Bride. This was billed as a gender swapped retelling, but it's more loosely adapted. The Buttercup character is a born princess, the Westley is still a stable boy, but he's the one who's kidnapped. But he's also still the one who gets tortured.

It's fun figuring out who everyone was in the actual Princess Bride, but this doesn't have the humour of that one, and I didn't really follow all the politics. Hopefully the second book will clear up some of my questions, because I did enjoy this and I do want to see what happens next. It's just not quite what I was expecting, with the summary we were given.

Read this. It is a good read. Just ignore the summary and go in with an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment