Monday 1 June 2020

Destination Anywhere by Sara Barnard

Peyton is running. She's not sure what from, or where to. She just knows she can't stay where she is. Told in two timelines, this is the story of how far you sometimes have to go to find home.

Sara Barnard always makes me cry. I opened it just now to check a quote and welled up again. 

This is a beautiful story. Peyton is a fabulous character; parts of her backstory feel ripped from mine, and I imagine most people will empathise with her. (Unless you're Amber. Don't be Amber.) the descriptions are amazing. Sara clearly loves Canada very much. I'm so tempted to go and see these places myself. (I'm writing during the Coronovirus lockdown, so I can' actually go, but I'd really like to!)

I loved how brave Peyton was, even though she didn't believe she was. And how much she appreciated everyone; it really was lovely. Her new (real) friends were great, too. I want a Beasey, please. I'd settle for a Khalil, but really, Beasey is just wonderful.

Whatever else happens, this happened. I will try and apply that to my life in future. This was just a beautiful read all around. Fabulous.


US Cover                                       UK Cover 

A breathtaking novel about finding yourself and finding a friend by the award-winning author of Beautiful Broken Things

Sometimes you have to leave your life behind to find your place in the world. . .

After five years at secondary school spent bullied and alone, Peyton King starts sixth form college determined that things will be different. Whatever happens, she will make friends at any cost.

When she finds the friends she’s always dreamed of, including an actual boyfriend, she’s happier than she’s ever been.

But when they let her down in the worst way, Peyton is left no better off than when she started. Now Peyton knows the only chance she has of finding happiness is to look for it somewhere else. With nothing but her sketchpad and a backpack, she buys a one-way ticket and gets on a plane. . .

In Destination Anywhere, Sara Barnard explores love, life and friendship in this exquisite tale of the lengths one girl will go to to change her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment