Saturday 30 May 2020

Chelsea High by Jenny Oliver

Norah knows she doesn't belong at Chelsea High. This is a school for the uber rich; she grew up on a houseboat in perpetual dock. But once her father clears up this whole misunderstanding of a law suit, they can go back home, where she fits in.

Chelsea High is a beautiful book. I thought this was going to be a standard 'girl tries to fit in by changing herself, girl realises she's fine just the way she is' and on the surface, that is what this story is about. Underneath, though, there's a lot of other things going on. It's about Norah learning not to judge people, to make new friends even though she only wants to go back to her old ones, about learning that good people can make mistakes and that she can love someone and be angry at them and hate them all at the same time. There's a lot going on here, and Jenny makes it all work.

You'll recognise a lot of the characters here; there's the Mean Girl, the Mysterious Boy, the Mean Girl's Followers, the Other Outsiders Who Welcome The Newcomer - the characters aren't new, but Jenny weaves a compelling story out of them, and I really enjoyed one scene in particular near the end. I won't spoil it, but swimming pool.

I don't know if Jenny plans to make a series out of this, but I'd love to read more of Norah's adventures. I think there's a lot more for her to accomplish. But if this is what we get, it's a great ending and I really enjoyed it.


I picked up my hot chocolate. Thought about the fact I was no longer allowed my phone. Even if all this blew over, could any of us really forgive each other? Could I really gloss over what people - my friends - had written in the heat of the moment? Could they forgive us for leaving? For running away to save our own skins and leaving them with nothing? Would anyone ever forget? They had to. I had grown up with the people of Mulberry Island. There were my memories, we were theirs. They couldn't blank us out of their history. We had all shared too many things, good and bad - births and deaths, parties and marriages. I had sheltered from thunderstorms in their houses, fed their cats, babysat their children, borrowed their pumps when our boat flooded, been taught by them, eaten picnics with them, danced with them, cried with them, sang with them. Surely, that was worth more than one mistake.


Norah Whittaker’s upbringing has been charmingly unconventional: she’s grown up on a houseboat spending her days fishing, cherry picking and helping her mum out at her vintage market stall. As well as laughing at her chaotic dad. But when her dad’s latest get-rich plan ends up getting him arrested, everything changes.

Grandparents (incredibly rich ones) that Norah never knew had existed enrol her at exclusive Chelsea High. There are polo lessons, ski trips and parties photographed by Tatler, not to mention Coco Summers, Instagram sensation, who is determined to make Norah feel utterly unwelcome. Luckily there is also handsome Ezra who is cast opposite her in the school play.

But is he enough to persuade Norah that she belongs?

No comments:

Post a Comment