Wednesday 19 October 2022

The Boy who Lost his Spark by Maggie O'Farrell and Daniela Jaglenka Terrazzini


When Jem and his family first move to a small town, he struggles with his new life. The unhappier he grows, the stranger things become ... mischief and chaos seems to bloom everywhere. His sister Verity is sure it is the work of a "nouka", an ancient creature that lives deep down inside the hill; a creature forged from the sparks of a long-extinct volcano. Jem is adamant - there is no such thing. But it is through the magic and mayhem of this small mystical creature that Jem finally finds a sense of belonging, a sense of home. He, once more, discovers a spark of magic.

A beautiful and atmospheric long-form picture book set against a dramatic backdrop of an ancient hillside and the mysterious mood-affecting creature that lives within...

Embarrasing bookseller confession: I haven't read Hamnet. I've heard it's fantastic, and it's definitely on my list! But, too many books, too little time - if you're here reading this, you know that feeling!

However, I have read this one. It's called a long-form picture book - illustrated like a picture book, but closer in length to a chapter book. The illustrations are absolutely amazing, bright and evocative, full of detail and so beautiful to look at. I spent a lot of time absorbed in them when I should have been reading on!

The story itself is very clever as well. As far as I can tell Maggie has invented the creature at the heart of the story, the Nouka, a sort of cross between imps and Miyazaki's soot sprites. They're a wonderful creation, feeling like the best folklore. A sequence where - well, spoilers - had me completely captivated.

I would have liked to have seen Jem's obvious (to us readers, with the benefit of narration) dyslexia and possible ADD addressed in the story, but I'll assume it's encompassed in the ending (which I loved). I would have loved to take part in one of those bonfires!

A fabulous read I will definitely be recommending as a Christmas gift to anyone who'll listen to me. Just wonderful.



The Boy Who Lost His Spark is available now.

No comments:

Post a Comment