Wednesday 8 July 2020

The Rules by Tracy Darnton

Amber’s an expert when it comes to staying hidden – she’s been trained her whole life for it. But what happens when the person you’re hiding from taught you everything you know?

When a letter from her dad arrives, Amber knows she’s got to move – and fast. He’s managed to find her and she knows he’ll stop at nothing to draw her back into the extreme survivalist way of life he believes in.

All of a sudden the Rules she’s spent so long trying to escape are the ones keeping her safe. But for how long?



I know a little bit about prepping, in an academic sense - I don't fool myself that I'd last any length of time in an actual SHTF scenario, but it's interesting to think about. I really enjoyed reading this story set on the edges of the prepper community. Tracy has either researched this carefully or lived it for quite a while.

Amber's an interesting character. I can't say I exactly liked her, but that's because she went out of her way to be unlikable. I was certainly intrigued by her, and I wanted to know what would happen to her. I must hunt down the anthology she appeared in and read her short story now. Her father was terrifyingly well written. I appreciated that even though there was a male character, there's no romance. There are too few stories out there with no romance.

My proof copy included discussion questions; I hope they're in the finished copy, because even just reading over them myself helped me to absorb and rethink my reactions to the story.

The ending will probably shock some people, but it's obvious in hindsight, which the best twists should be. A fantastic read. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment