Monday 20 April 2020

Gargantis by Thomas Taylor

Herbie and Violet are back to solve another Lost & Found mystery. This one threatens everyone in Eerie-on-Sea; if they can't figure out what's happening, the whole town will quite literally slide into the sea...

This is a brilliant follow-up to Malamander, featuring the same fantastic cast of zany townspeople. Herbert and Violet are both pushed harder and further than last time, forcing them out of their comfort zone, especially Herbert. I love him so much; he's sweet and brave and always, always tries to do his best, no matter what's going on around him.

I'm really enjoying this series - even though the bad guy was pretty obvious this time around - and I hope they keep going for a long time.


My sprightning - the Gargantic Light - starts dancing above me, and I suddenly realize exactly what I need to do to return her to her rightful place. And I could shout for joy, because now I won't need to be lowered down into the ocean's depths in some smelly old barrel! I can return the light right here, right now, and get the lost-and-foundering done when I'm only half drowned! And then, when the day has been saved and the world put to rights, we can sail back to Eerie-on-Sea to see if Mrs Fossil still has some of those salty caramel muffins left!
I climb onto the ruins of the wheelhouse beside Violet. The creature must sense what I'm about to do and lowers the bulb of its lure towards me. I cup the sprightning in my hand and reach up as the empty bulb swings down.

But my hand doesn't get there.




In the second fantasy set in Eerie-on-Sea, Herbert and Violet team up to solve the mystery of the Gargantis — an ancient creature of the deep with the power to create life-threatening storms.
There's a storm brewing over Eerie-on-Sea, and the fisherfolk say a monster is the cause. Someone has woken the ancient Gargantis, who sleeps in the watery caves beneath this spooky seaside town where legends have a habit of coming to life. It seems the Gargantis is looking for something: a treasure stolen from her underwater lair. And it just might be in the Lost-and-Foundery at the Grand Nautilus Hotel, in the care of one Herbert Lemon, Lost-and-Founder. With the help of the daring Violet Parma, ever-reliable Herbie will do his best to figure out what the Gargantis wants and who stole her treasure in the first place. In a town full of suspicious, secretive characters, it could be anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment