Thursday 8 August 2019

The Heart of the Circle by Keren Landsman

It's wizards - for a loose definition of wizards - versus normals in this translated work from Israel.




I've enjoyed works in translation. I love to see how other cultures view the world. Sadly, with this title, I felt like we landed in the middle of the story and never got the backstory. Worldbuilding, yes, we got enough to know what was happening, more or less. But I didn't really follow the actual story. I slogged through to 45%, really wasn't enjoying it, so I gave up.

It's a shame, because the writing wasn't bad and the ideas were very good. I've never seen precogs used in quite that way before, and the empathy was unusual as well. Sadly, this one just wasn't for me, but I'm sure other readers will love it.



Throughout human history there have always been sorcerers, once idolised and now exploited for their powers. In Israel, the Sons of Simeon, a group of religious extremists, persecute sorcerers while the government turns a blind eye. After a march for equal rights ends in brutal murder, empath, moodifier and reluctant waiter Reed becomes the next target. While his sorcerous and normie friends seek out his future killers, Reed complicates everything by falling hopelessly in love. As the battle for survival grows ever more personal, can Reed protect himself and his friends as the Sons of Simeon close in around them?

No comments:

Post a Comment