Friday, 9 October 2026

Back to the Bookshelf: The Judy Picture Story Library


The world of girls' comics was bigger than you might imagine. The Picture Story Library was a series of books that had all the drama, fun, mystery and adventure of a weekly comic strip crammed into one small 62 page digest. They were a monthly treat to go along with your weekly issues. The stories were complete so no waiting around for the next issue to find out what would happen to the characters.


A Little Bit of Judy: The Judy Picture Story Library

Sometimes a book lands in your hands and you immediately think, Oh, I know what this is.

I recently acquired a small pile of the Judy Picture Story Library books – those little, mostly-square storybooks that were produced alongside the girls' comic Judy. They contain one complete story, illustrated throughout in black and white, with a bright colour cover and, charmingly, absolutely no attempt whatsoever to sell you the story on the back. The back is there to advertise Judy. Obviously.

I never actually read Debbie or Judy as a child, although I did read M&J, the later merger of Mandy and Judy. So when I saw a choice between a little pile of Judy books and a little pile of Debbie books, Judy felt like the one I was more likely to recognise.

I was right.

Or at least, I recognised the kind of story.

PRE-READING

These are such interesting little objects.

They're books, technically, but they don't quite feel like the books we normally mean when we say "children's books". They're closer to an extended comic story: a single adventure, told briskly, with illustrations throughout and a format small enough to feel almost like an oversized comic.

There's no blurb. No author biography. No glowing recommendation from somebody you've never heard of. No promise that this is the must-read story of the season.

Just:

Here is a story.

Enjoy.

And then, on the back, essentially: also, have you considered buying Judy?

I find that delightful.

The books I found are from the later part of the series, around the late 1980s, and I have nine of them. They're numbered rather than simply being given a title, which makes them feel like part of a much larger collecting universe. And, of course, now that I have nine, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in completing the run.

This is definitely not how collecting starts.

POST-READING

I read Dora Doormat first, and what struck me most wasn't whether the story would stand up as a modern children's novel. It isn't really trying to be one.

It's a compact piece of girls' comic storytelling.

The story moves quickly. There is very little wasted space, because there can't be: you're getting a complete adventure in a relatively small number of pages. The illustrations do a lot of the work, but they aren't simply decorative. They help keep the story moving in exactly the way comic art is supposed to.

And there's something wonderfully direct about it.

Modern children's publishing often gives you a whole ecosystem around a book: the blurb, the positioning, the comparison titles, the marketing copy, the carefully designed cover promising exactly what sort of reading experience you're about to have.

This little book doesn't care.

It has a girl. She has a problem. Things happen.

Off we go.

I think that's part of why it felt familiar even though I hadn't read these books as a child. Having read M&J, I recognise the storytelling rhythm and the visual language. It's not exactly nostalgia for something I remember – it's more like encountering a distant relative and realising you share the same mannerisms.

THE REALLY INTERESTING BIT

The thing I find most fascinating about these books is actually their existence.

The Judy Picture Story Library was part of a publishing world where a weekly girls' comic wasn't simply a comic. It was a whole reading ecosystem.

You could read Judy every week, and then you could buy one of these little books for a longer, standalone story. The comic advertised the books. The books advertised the comic. There was always another little piece of the world to collect.

And I suspect that is one reason so many of these objects have survived.

They weren't necessarily bought with the idea that they were going to become collectibles. They were cheap little storybooks. Something to read and put down. Something that might be bought with pocket money.

And then, somehow, decades later, somebody clears out an attic and there they are.

Which is how I ended up with nine of them.

RECOMMENDATIONS

If you grew up reading Judy, Mandy, Debbie, Bunty or M&J, I suspect these would be catnip.

If you didn't, they're still fascinating as tiny examples of a form of children's publishing that has largely disappeared.

And if you're interested in the history of British girls' comics, these are particularly lovely little artefacts because they're not just examples of the comics themselves. They're evidence of the world built around them.

I wouldn't necessarily tell you to go out and buy one, because they're not exactly sitting on the shelves of your local bookshop in 2026.

But if you happen across a pile in a second-hand shop, charity shop, comics fair or somebody's slightly mysterious internet listing?

Well.

You might want to have a look.

MUSIC PAIRING

Something bright, bouncy and just a little bit retro. Preferably something that sounds as though you ought to be reading it while sitting cross-legged on the carpet with a packet of crisps beside you.

VIBE CHECK

Colour: Bright primary colours
Soundtrack: The theme tune to a children's television programme you haven't thought about in thirty years
Season: Summer holidays
Mood: I have finished my homework and I have approximately three hours before anyone asks me to do anything useful
Scent: Old paper and the faintest trace of somebody else's airing cupboard
Texture: Thin, slightly soft paper and a surprisingly sturdy little cover

TAROT CARD PULLED

Six of Cups

Not because these books are necessarily nostalgic for me, but because the Six of Cups is about encountering the past and discovering that it still has something to give you.

These little books weren't made for me.

I wasn't their original reader.

But decades later, I can pick one up and still understand exactly what it was for: give a child a story.

And sometimes that's enough.


THE TRUE QUESTION

What happens to children's stories when the publishing world that created them disappears?

Some become classics.

Some are reprinted.

Some vanish almost completely.

And some sit quietly in an attic for forty years until somebody opens a box and says:

Oh! Judy!

I think I'm rather glad this particular one survived.

Judy Picture Story Library isn't readily available as a contemporary children's series, and I'm not suggesting you need to track down a copy. This is more a little celebration of a very specific piece of British comics history.

But if you happen to find one?

Read it.

And then perhaps check whether there are any more in the box.

I received these books second-hand and am giving an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment