Thursday 24 October 2019

Nevertell by Katharine Orton

Lina has grown up in a Russian forced labour camp. When a chance comes for her to escape, she seizes it. Now, however, she's out in the tundra, and out there fairytales are alive and well. There are worse things than Baba Yaga, but there are beautiful things as well. Can Lina find her way home?

This is a fabulous, magical story, steeped in folktales and magic. I really enjoyed every bit of it. Lina and Bogdan are wonderful characters, fierce and clever and determined. I'd love to read more of their adventures, but this isn't a cliffhanger; it ends really well, with the loose ends tied up.

The language is brilliant as well, really evocative; I found I was really cold as I was reading! I'll be looking out for Katharine Orton in future, as I'd really like to read more works by her.




Born in a Soviet prison camp, Lina has never seen the world outside until the night she escapes with her best friend, Bogdan. As the pair journey across a snowy wilderness, they are pursued by a vengeful sorceress and her pack of shadow wolves. The children will need every ounce of courage – and a whisper of magic – if they are to survive…

No comments:

Post a Comment